SCCM 2012 R2 is HUGE!

So as of late, I've been noticing a number of my Configuration Manager clients were installed properly, and were correctly sending their logs to the site servers, but my admin console was showing them up as inactive, or Client: NO. Surely this wasn't correct!

As with many things, this got put into my stack of things to figure out and I finally got to it today!

As it turns out, my inbox on my Primary Site had almost a quarter of a million entries that hadn't been processed! despool.log was showing the following entries over and over.

Despooler is starting... SMS_DESPOOLER 7/30/2015 11:52:19 AM 4788 (0x12B4)
CPublicKeyLookup::Initialize("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\\pubkey") SMS_DESPOOLER 7/30/2015 11:52:19 AM 4788 (0x12B4)
CPublicKeyLookup::Initialize()  Initializing the Public Key Store Path to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\\pubkey SMS_DESPOOLER 7/30/2015 11:52:19 AM 4788 (0x12B4)
Cannot connect to the instruction source. SMS_DESPOOLER 7/30/2015 11:52:19 AM 4788 (0x12B4)
Fatal error, retry in 30 minutes SMS_DESPOOLER 7/30/2015 11:52:19 AM 4788 (0x12B4)

After a little bit of diagnosing and troubleshooting, I was able to get the despooler up and running again and my despool.log file was properly showing that the files were being processed. (I'll try and write about this in the future.)

Since I had so many files, and didn't feel like babysitting the status of it all day, I wrote a little simple script to run that counted the number of files in my inbox and would alert me when it was completed.

$startcount = gci "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\\receive\";
$start = Get-Date

 while ($tars.count -gt 0) { 
    $tars = gci "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\\receive\" ; 
    $duration = New-TimeSpan -Start $start -End (get-date);
    write-host "Has been running for $duration."
    $totalcompleted = $startcount.Count - $tars.count
    Write-Host "A total of $totalcompleted have been processed."
    #start-sleep -seconds 5; 

    send-mailmessage -from [email protected] -to [email protected] -subject "sccm despooler inbox completed" -smtpserver

Hope this helps someone in the future!


Popular Posts